The Ontario Ministry of Education has issued an order to close all publicly funded schools effective immediately with an anticipated return date of April 5, 2020 to interrupt the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic. At this time, all hiring processes have been cancelled and will be rescheduled after the shutdown. Please monitor your email, as you may receive a rescheduled date and invitation after April 5, 2020. There will be no new job postings posted during the shutdown period. The only jobs that will remain posted on the Careers page are the “ongoing” postings (these include positions in the identified high needs areas that are posted all year) and summer positions/opportunities. Any postings that were closing during the weeks of March 14, 2020 - April 5, 2020 were cancelled and will be re-posted after April 5, 2020. If you applied for a posting prior to the shutdown, please be patient as we will be communicating with everyone via email once board offices re-open.
Position: Intervention Support Worker (ISW)
Work Location: Various Positions Across Multiple Locations
Salary: $30.88 - $32.12
Application Deadline: June 30, 2020
Thank you for your interest in a career as an Intervention Support Worker (ISW) with the York Region District School Board. This application is for Intervention Support Worker opportunities for the 2019/2020 school year. Please Note: This application is for temporary and/or permanent opportunities as they arise throughout the year.
Temporary Positions: This is a position that is available for a period in excess of 30 consecutive working days to replace a permanent employee who is absent on an approved leave of absence (e.g. pregnancy, parental, educational or medical leave).
Permanent Positions: These are full-time positions (35 hours per week).
This position is responsible for working as a member of an integrated intervention team to support students with a range of behaviour concerns in compliance with Board policies and procedures.
- To assist school staff in the assessment and management of individual cases through observation, case conferences and data collection.
- To assist school staff in the development, implementation and monitoring of student support strategies and programs, including Growth Plans, Individual Education Plans (I.E.P) and Safety Plans etc., to ensure a safe and caring school environment.
- To work collaboratively within an interdisciplinary team, demonstrating and facilitating strategies that will enhance student learning.
- To model for and coach staff to build capacity in best practices and evidence-based strategies for working with students with different exceptionalities.
- To work with community agencies and school staff in a variety of areas (e.g. Mediation, Circle Solutions, Applied Behaviour Analysis, CPI Non-Violent Crisis Intervention).
- To assist in the identification of staff needs for on-going education and in-service training. As required, facilitate and deliver professional development in a variety of areas (e.g. Restorative Approaches, Threat Assessment, Applied Behaviour Analysis, and CPI Non-Violent Crisis Intervention).
- To assist with the research and preparation of materials for programs.
- To model and coach school staff, including providing direct support such as behaviour management and/or counselling to enable students to function in a school setting, either individually or within groups.
- To participate in case management sessions and collaborate with system support staff.
- To participate in the identification of risk and resiliency factors that may impact in providing effective supports to students and families.
- To assist school staff to liaise and engage community agencies to support students and their families.
- To attend professional development/training sessions as required.
- To attend meetings as required.
- To perform other duties as assigned.
Education, Experience, and Qualifications:
- Secondary School Graduation Diploma with two years of post-secondary education in a related field is required.
- Minimum two years related experience is required.
- Experience with a range of social-emotional, mental health and/or behavioural concerns are required.
- Training in de-escalation strategies (including CPI certification, where required), lifting and positioning techniques are requirements of this position.
- A good working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and current Board approved/implemented software is required.
- Proficient verbal and written communication, interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively as part of a team are required.
- In the application process, you will be prompted to provide at least three (3) professional, supervisory references (including full name, position title, work location/organization, and email address) in the job posting screening section of the online application. We do not contact references prior to practicum/interview.
- For your information, a list of YRDSB Schools is provided.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Statement
The York Region District School Board (YRDSB) believes in giving each and every applicant an equal opportunity to succeed on their own merit and we strive to hire staff that reflect and support the diverse perspectives, experiences and needs of our students and our communities. We remain committed to upholding the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion in our living, learning and work environments. We know that diversity underpins excellence, and that we all share responsibility for creating an equitable, diverse and inclusive Board-community. Therefore, in pursuit of our values, we seek members who will work respectfully and constructively with differences and across the organizational hierarchy in actualizing the Board’s priorities, goals and principles outlined in the Director’s Action Plan.
We actively encourage applications from members of groups with historical and/or current barriers to equity, including, but not limited to:
- First Nations, Métis and Inuit peoples, and all other Indigenous peoples;
- members of groups that commonly experience discrimination due to race, ancestry, colour, religion and/or spiritual beliefs, or place of origin;
- persons with visible and/or invisible (physical and/or mental) disabilities;
- persons who identify as women; and
- persons of marginalized sexual orientations, gender identities, and gender expressions.
At YRDSB, we recognize that many of these identities intersect and therefore, equity, diversity and inclusion can be complex. We value and respect the contributions that each person brings to enriching the Board and are committed to ensuring full and equal participation for all in communities that we serve.
Accessibility and Accommodation Statement
We also recognize our duty to accommodate and foster a culture of inclusion. Consistent with the principles of dignity, individualization and inclusion, we will make any appropriate accommodation based on any of the protected grounds in the Human Rights Code to support candidate participation in the hiring process. When contacted, candidates will be provided with an overview of the various elements of the hiring process, such as skills assessments, written practicum, presentation, interview, etc. We will provide accommodations during the hiring process. If an accommodation is required, please inform the Recruitment and Retention Team in advance of any part of the process. All information received relating to a candidate’s required accommodation will be addressed confidentially by the Recruitment and Retention Team.
As a condition of employment, successful candidates will be required to submit a current original Police Vulnerable Sector Check from the police jurisdiction in which they reside prior to commencing employment with the Board. Police Vulnerable Sector Check documents are only valid if issued within the last six months. Candidates are not advised to obtain this document prior to an offer of employment.
On-line applications are collected centrally at the Education Centre - Aurora and are monitored by Human Resource Services. Only candidates selected to participate in our selection process will be contacted. All other applicants are thanked for their interest.